Today, as always, it is important to remember the Holocaust, and keep the memory alive of those who died. A unique list was compiled by JTA News of films that help to remember the horrors of the Holocaust. We are also mindful today of the work that has been done, and is yet to be done to secure justice for those who survived. Therefore, we at ESLI would like to suggest some additional films to this list, many of which are set after the Holocaust, and may inspire and inform about the ongoing work of securing justice for survivors and victims of the Holocaust:
- Woman in Gold (2015) – A feature film based on the true story of Maria Altmann and Randy Schoenberg’s fight to restitute a Nazi-confiscated painting.
- Monuments Men (2014) – A feature film based on the WWII platoon specialized in art recovery.
- Night Will Fall (2014) – A documentary on lost film footage from 1945 by Alfred Hitchcock and Sidney Bernstein on concentration camps.
- Ida (2013) – Set in 1962, a young woman learns about her family’s history and fate in the Holocaust.
- The Aryan Couple (2004) – The story of a Jewish business owner in Germany who is forced to relinquish his business to the Nazis.
We hope these films will help to reflect on the multitude of post-Holocaust issues that affect our society and the lives of survivors.